Small grants are great opportunities to fund classroom projects and other school needs, and their applications are usually quite brief. Browse the list below to see if there’s a good fit for you. Note: Some grantors will ask that the Ed Fund sponsor a school’s application. If so, please let us know within 14 days of the deadline so we can can take care of fiscal sponsorship details. We would also love to know which mini-grants you’ve won. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to fill us in. Good luck!
- No Deadline
These mini-grants have no deadline, but we recommend applying ASAP if funding is still available.
- Philanthropic Ventures Foundation (PVF) grants for field trips. No deadline, but grants are generally awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply here quickly! K-5 schools only. Grants of up to $1,000 each, limit two per school per year.
- Philanthropic Ventures Foundation (PVF) grants of up to $500 for Visiting Artists in the Classroom. Grades 1-12. Apply here.
- FREE BART rides for field trips. Click here to learn more. Funding is currently exhausted for this program but may become available again in early 2015.
- Children’s Creativity Museum in San Francisco offers fee-waived field trips at all grade levels.
- Build-A-Bear Workshop Bear Hugs Foundation offers grants between $1,000 and $5,000 for schools serving students with special needs.
- Lantern Projects will post school needs (books, computers, etc.) on its website, where donors can choose which cause to support. You can submit a project using this form.
- Awesome Foundation $1,000 grants for any school project or program. Note: Until the website adds an Oakland chapter, Oakland schools should apply through the San Francisco chapter. Learn more and apply.
- DonorsChoose.org allows teachers to post funding proposals online, where donors can choose which program or resources to support financially. Several OSF schools have had great success posting proposals on this site!
- November Deadlines
These grants have deadlines in November 2014.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics The NCTM awards Pre-K through 2nd-grade teachers grants of up to $3,000 for “incorporating music into the elementary school classroom to help young students learn mathematics.” To apply and to learn more about eligibility details and requirements, click here. Deadline: November 7
- National Science Teachers Association Vernier Technology Awards The NSTA partners with Vernier “to recognize the innovative use of data collection technology using a computer, graphing calculator, or handheld in the science classroom. Maximum award: $1,000 towards expenses to attend the NSTA National Conference, $1,000 in cash for the teacher, and $1,000 in Vernier products.” All science teachers K through college are eligible. Learn more and apply here. Deadline: November 30