Small grants are great opportunities to fund classroom projects and other school needs, and their applications are usually quite brief. Browse the list below to see if there’s a good fit for you. Note: Some grantors will ask that the Ed Fund sponsor a school’s application. If so, please let us know within 14 days of the deadline so we can can take care of fiscal sponsorship details. We would also love to know which mini-grants you’ve won. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to fill us in. Good luck!
- No Deadline
These mini-grants have no deadline, but we recommend applying ASAP if funding is still available. As of April 2015, all PVF funding has been exhausted. We’re keeping those listed here though, in the event that funding again becomes available.
- Philanthropic Ventures Foundation (PVF) grants for field trips. No deadline, but grants are generally awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply here quickly! K-5 schools only. Grants of up to $1,000 each, limit two per school per year.
- Philanthropic Ventures Foundation (PVF) grants of up to $500 for Visiting Artists in the Classroom. Grades 1-12. Apply here.
- FREE BART rides for field trips. Click here to learn more. Funding is currently exhausted for this program but may become available again in early 2015.
- Children’s Creativity Museum in San Francisco offers fee-waived field trips at all grade levels.
- Build-A-Bear Workshop Bear Hugs Foundation offers grants between $1,000 and $5,000 for schools serving students with special needs.
- Lantern Projects will post school needs (books, computers, etc.) on its website, where donors can choose which cause to support. You can submit a project using this form.
- Awesome Foundation $1,000 grants for any school project or program. Note: Until the website adds an Oakland chapter, Oakland schools should apply through the San Francisco chapter. Learn more and apply.
- DonorsChoose.org allows teachers to post funding proposals online, where donors can choose which program or resources to support financially. Several OSF schools have had great success posting proposals on this site!
- March Deadlines
These grants have deadlines in March 2015.
- Ezra Jack Keats Foundation Mini-Grants Program for Public Schools and Public Libraries. Awards of up to $500 given to public schools and public libraries for projects that foster creative expression, working together, and interaction with a diverse community. The EJK Mini-Grants give educators, whose efforts are often inadequately funded or recognized, an opportunity to design and implement a great program—whether a special activity outside the standard curriculum or one that helps meet its goals. For more information, visit the EJK Mini-Grants webpage. The deadline to apply is March 15, 2015.